Re: Menu suggestion

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Menu suggestion
Date: 27 Apr 2004 16:04:50 +0200

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> writes:

> Kim F. Storm writes:
>
> > but I have managed using emacs quite efficiently without using those
> > bindings for 20 years...  And I use CUA mode too.
>
> No offence intended, but did you try the emacs cursor motion bindings?

Of course I did -- I really tried for a while, but never found it to
be efficient having to press two keys (ctrl + letter) just to move the
cursor, especially when those keys are FAR away from the control key.

Before switching to emacs, I used vi, and I think the HJKL navigation
in vi is vastly superior to emacs' native cursor movement.  I also
used another popular editor at the time (can't recall its name) which
used something like C-s C-d C-e and C-x to move the cursor; that was
also much easier to use, as it could be done with one hand only.

I also worked on a classic MAC for 6 months which had no cursor keys
-- the only way to move the cursor (even a single character) was with
the mouse -- now, that was INEFFICIENT (but very smart and modern).

Besides, using C-v/M-v to scroll up and down (forcing me to change
modifier keys) is just so much less efficient than using the
pgup/pgdown keys IMO.

BTW, I also play the piano, and it may be more efficient to just let
your hands stay within one octave all the time, but the music gets
rather dull after a while :-)

> I think it is well worth the effort to invest a bit of time to learn
> them.  FWIW, it took me several tries, (ie, in my case several
> summers, and viper mode) to eventually switch to Emacs.

It didn't take me that long to switch, a few days I guess -- the only
thing which was hard to get used to was the cursor motion commands; as
soon as I managed to reprogram emacs to recognize the relevant arrow
keys (that was in the good old serial terminal days), I was up to
speed, and have been a happy emacs user since.

In any case, this is the beauty of emacs -- you can configure it
to suit your personal preferences.

I like the arrow keys, I like CUA mode, but I would never claim that
my preferences are better than yours.