Re: Proposal for extending set-process-filter

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Proposal for extending set-process-filter
Date: 27 Apr 2004 22:59:54 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> >     1) a function which gets two arguments. [insert old description]
> >     2) a buffer into which output gets inserted.
> > You should use set-process-buffer for that.

No, set-process-buffer actually changes the _associated_ buffer.
That is the buffer that when killed, kills the process as well.  It
is the buffer in which get-buffer-process might return the buffer.
It incidentally is also the _default_ location where output arrives
in case we have no filter function.

What I proposed was intended to redirect output (possibly just on one
file descriptor of stdout and stderr) to a potentially _different_
buffer.