Re: Several suggestions for image support

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Several suggestions for image support
Date: 30 Apr 2004 15:30:29 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > what I can see without actually using it, this looks good.  It
> > accomplishes a lot more than what I originally asked for, but in a
> > generally useful and upwards-compatible and sensible way, as far
> > as I can see.
>
> Now we just need to have preview-latex included with CVS emacs.

Not feasible at the moment: while preview-latex has a pretty limited
scope of developers that would all agree to signing over the
necessary stuff, its process system and a few other things pretty
much are tied into AUCTeX.

So unless somebody volunteers to come up with replacements for all of
the locations where preview-latex relies on AUCTeX, placing
preview-latex within Emacs would be useless.

AUCTeX can't be placed into CVS Emacs right now because the copyright,
though licenced under the GPL, is pretty much diluted over the course
of 12 years or so.  The principal copyright holders have partly agreed
to sign papers, partly already done so, but a lot of hunting will be
needed to round up every contributor, and the work is still being
done.  The aim is to have it acceptable into Emacs at some point of
time.

It is not going to happen before the next releasable Emacs state is
reached AFAICS.

Making preview-latex independent from AUCTeX might also be used to
boost the rendering facilities of Emacs, and maybe to add graphical
modes into calc and stuff.  But all of this is not something for which
any of the current preview-latex developers happens to have any
resources available.

The long-term plans are to fold preview-latex into AUCTeX some time
next year to make it more generally available.  Since there is nobody
having time into making preview-latex an independent component from
AUCTeX, this seems to be the best approach at the current point of
time.

So in short: getting preview-latex assigned to be placed into Emacs
would not be much of a problem, but it has a dependency on AUCTeX,
and assignments for that will take longer and are not guaranteed to
arrive.  If things come to worst, some rewriting might even be needed.