Re: Several suggestions for image support

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Several suggestions for image support
Date: 29 Apr 2004 11:51:40 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> > We could accomplish this by setting the line-height property to the
> > pixel height of a specific face *) The effect of this would be that
> > newlines would have the height of that face, rather than the current
> > font.
>
> Is there a particular reason to have the unit of the line-height be in
> pixels?  We specify face dimensions in units of tenths of a point
> elsewhere.  Not that I am convinced that is the best way, though.

The main reason is that the display engine counts in pixels -- so that's
the value that is "needed" there; of course, we could convert points to
pixels (somehow, I'm not a `face expert').

> Anyway, it would be nice if one could specify this relative to a
> particular face.  Something like

But except for the "dynamic vs. static" properties here, that's
the same effect you get with my simpler proposal:

> '(line-height . (1.0 . small-face))

 `(line-height . ,(face-char-height 'small-face))

> '(line-height . (1.2 . nil))  ;; means the current face

 '(line-height . 1.2)

> '(line-height . (1.2 . default)) ;; same as the following
> '(line-height . 1.2) ;; relative to default

 `(line-height . ,(round (* 1.2 (face-char-height 'default))))

> Something like that.  If somebody has a better idea to specify
> "current face", that would be nice.

Of course it can be done as you propose (I planned to do that myself),
but it makes the redisplay engine more complex -- and I doubt the
added flexibility/complexity is really needed.