Re: It is time for a feature freeze (it is NOW or never).

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: It is time for a feature freeze (it is NOW or never).
Date: 02 May 2004 15:16:56 -0400

> IMHO, any feature freeze is only meaningful if it is accompanied by a branch.
> Otherwise new features will have no place to go and will quite likely get
> bundled in with bug-fixes.

No, we want people to stop working on features and work on
bugfixing instead.  When we create the branch is when we say "alright
people, if you're bored of bugfixing you can add features again".

> Also, from the mailing list archives, I see that a year elapsed between the
> first pretest and the release of Emacs 21.1. So I would like to see a target
> date for the release so that the "freeze" doesn't drag on indefinitely.

It just depends on how much time it takes before the stream of bug-reports
slows down enough that the code can be considered "stable".

        Stefan