Re: display word wrapping

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: display word wrapping
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 13:36:46 -0400

    We are not trying to get around the GPL, the libraries are all
    Free. But this does raise an interesting question. If we distribute a
    binary version of Emacs that can use these Free libraries if they are
    installed on the user's system, but does not depend on them being
    present, and does not include the libraries by default, then is it
    OUR responsibility to distribute the source for those libraries, or
    can we tell the user that if they install those libraries, they can
    get the source from the same place they got the library?

If we don't distribute the binaries for these libraries, I think
we do not have to distribute the source either.  But that is an
interesting question, and I will discuss it with Eben Moglen
in regard to clarifying the GPL in the next version.