Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 09:13:27 +0200

>> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>>      address@hidden
>> From: address@hidden (Kim F. Storm)
>> Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 23:53:29 +0200
>>
>> We could add before-beginning-of-buffer-hook and
>> after-end-of-buffer-hook which are hooks which are run when point is
>> moved backwards when (bolp) or forwards at (eobp).  These could be
>> setup to jump to the proper position in the "parent window".
>
> What about "C-a" and "C-e"? shouldn't they go to the left and right
> margin of the surrounding parent window?

Perhaps -- it depends on how things a layed out.  E.g if I have
text and image (IIII) like this:

  abc      IIII
  defgh    IIII
  jkl      IIII

and cursor is on `f' I would probably prefer if C-e moved cursor to
the position after the 'h' rather than to the right edge of the
IIIImage.

> What about "C-x o"? it will allow jumping into what the user thinks is
> a part of the current window, which is confusing.

C-x o (and C-x 4 f etc) should ignore anonymous windows.

I think most of the relevant commands use a small number of
functions to select the target window -- we only need to
fix those functions, not each command.

> I can see many similar complications.

Sure, it need to be thought about before implementing anything.

In a block model used for WP, there are probably lots of similar
problems that we would have to solve.  I don't think that can
be avoided no matter which approach we choose.