Re: Getting more info on a variable in Customize buffers

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Getting more info on a variable in Customize buffers
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 23:29:18 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Stallman" <address@hidden>

> One very useful way to get good info is to watch a beginner use custom
> and say "please report anything you don't like AND anything that isn't
> obvious how to use".  If a few people could do this with their
> friends, over the coming weeks, that could potentially show us how to
> make Custom more natural.  We may need to wait till after the release
> before actually making the changes, but we will do it sooner or later.

In an answer to this I have instead partly rewritten the customize GUI. The
rewrite is for Emacs 21.3.1 and is just a proposal (but a working one I
hope) for how the GUI could look and work. I have uploaded this to EmacsWiki
and you can find it on

  http://www.emacswiki.org/elisp/changelog.html

  The file name is cus-new-gui.el.

There are no real feature changes, just GUI changes. I feel they are mostly
just finishing work once begun on this GUI. The beginning of the file has
some comments about what I have done.