RE: Getting more info on a variable in Customize buffers

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Getting more info on a variable in Customize buffers
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 13:43:05 -0800

    > As I mentioned, node Easy Customization in Info tells you a few things
    > about how to customize variables, but it doesn't really tell you about
the
    > Customize UI. Because that UI is not yet ideal in terms of
orientation,
    > navigation, how-to-use, and information provided, I think that some
Info
    > doc on the Customize UI itself would be helpful.

    Yes, but maybe a GUI user normally do not read manuals?

Right. I already lamented the fact that the Customize GUI is so poor that it
calls forth the need for doc on how to understand and use it. It should
instead be self-explanatory and understandable without any doc. No one wants
to read doc - especially just to figure out a user interface.

I don't like that state of affairs, but we should recognize it and provide
such doc as long as the problem exists. It is too often the case that doc
serves a palliative purpose, filling in for poor product design - especially
for GUIs.

But having such doc is better than not. Even just a list of "gotcha's" and
tips would help. For instance, everyone who reads this list now knows about
setting `custom-unlispify-tag-names' to nil - those who don't read this list
deserve to know that tip too.