Re: Customize buttons that change user's custom fileshouldaskforconfirma

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Customize buttons that change user's custom fileshouldaskforconfirmation
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:34:25 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kim F. Storm" <address@hidden>

> My main objection to the customize interface is the long babble
> at the start of the buffer and the long text on the buttons.
>
> IMO, this is VERY dissimilar to other applications, and sort of
> indicates to the movice user that the Customize interface is very
> different from and much more complex than what the user is familiar
> with.

If someone actually reads that text I think that impression gets very much
stronger ;-)

> A simpler interface with a "one line" button bar (prefeably in
> the header line when supported) like this
>
>     [Set]  [Save]  [Load]  [Finish]
>
> would be ideal IMO.

Most other applications have the buttons at the bottom. The idea as far as I
understand it is to have the field and buttons ordered so that what is used
first comes first. This is both a visual ordering and a keyboard ordering.
You get used to press TAB to go to the button or field you need next. (I
think we should encourage keyboard use. Accessability and health.)