Re: Key binding M-g should really be goto-line autolearn=no version=3.0.

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Key binding M-g should really be goto-line autolearn=no version=3.0.2
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 12:30:31 +0100

   Nobody explained good arguments why current M-g is immovable?

,----
| http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-03/msg00642.html
| From: Richard Stallman
|
| "I want Emacs to move in the direction of doing word processing.  It
| may take years, but we will get there.  Then commands to specify faces
| will become important, and will need a good key binding.
|
| I chose the M-g binding for that reason, and the reason continues to
| have force.  So I don't intend to change that binding."
`----

... and I doubt much has changed in the year that has passed since
then.

Jari, you really have to stop arguing from the standpoint "Emacs must
have M-g as goto-line or else".  I really feel that the use of
goto-line to warrant a single char key binding is overblown--specially
for a single keystroke binding!; if people use it that often then one
should write a proper mode for Emacs to ease whatever one is doing
instead of introducing a new keybinding.

But what is wrong with C-x ~ for example? What about allowing for
something like C-u C-u C-l to recenter at a specific line (if it is
just C-u C-u C-l, then prompt the user, if C-u C-u 100 C-l then
recenter at line 100)?  I think this is quite nice, makes sense
keybinding wise.

Happy hacking.