Re: Key binding M-g should really be goto-line autolearn=no version=3.0.

From: Jari Aalto+mail.linux
Subject: Re: Key binding M-g should really be goto-line autolearn=no version=3.0.2 autolearn=no version=3.0.2
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 14:17:37 +0200

|    Nobody explained good arguments why current M-g is immovable?
|
| ,----
| | http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-03/msg00642.html
| | From: Richard Stallman
| |
| | "I want Emacs to move in the direction of doing word processing.  It
| | may take years, but we will get there.  Then commands to specify faces
| | will become important, and will need a good key binding.
| |
| | I chose the M-g binding for that reason, and the reason continues to
| | have force.  So I don't intend to change that binding."
| `----

I meant "immovable" - in literal sense. I'm not suggesting that the
facemenu is removed. But I have big question in my mind why it has to be at
M-g - at binding - which doesn't even sound anything familiar to do with
faces.

| I really feel that the use of
| goto-line to warrant a single char key binding is overblown--specially
| for a single keystroke binding!; if people use it that often then one
| should write a proper mode for Emacs to ease whatever one is doing
| instead of introducing a new keybinding.

What I want to demonstrate is that there is daily need for it; when it is
needed. It's not my invention, while I'm speaker of it here. Perhaps there
is some blindness to see this from another perspective?

Example: How would students/designers use Emacs for PHP coding, where the
remote site displays error messages and line numbers in a web page?

    Host A          Host B
    Win             Linux, Unix (Apache/PHP)
    client      =>  PHP program

    The client A sees Host B's PHP files through SSH, FTP, Version control
    or even SAMBA shares. Program is run at B, but browser at A is used
    to control it.

NOTE: PHP is the most popular Web development language ever and it has
skyrocketed since 2000. Now that is has proper OO with 5.x, I assume the
popularity will grow even more.

This is not a small issue. Try coding 10 000 lines of PHP without
goto-line. The most, the daily bread is programming, not the "text editing"
features that M-g is offering.

Would anyone really consider facemenu-keymap to be more important, more
essential than the primitive goto-line functionality?

Jari