Re: ChangeLog?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: ChangeLog?
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 10:35:16 +0900

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 00:41:39 +0000 (UTC), Robert J. Chassell
<address@hidden> wrote:
>         I gather the documentation contradicts this position.
>
>     No, it doesn't.  That was a misunderstanding.
>
>     In Emacs, the approach we use is that all changes are listed in
>     ChangeLog.
>
> Which ChangeLog?  The Emacs CVS offers two ChangeLogs and in
>     (emacs)Types of Log File

The term "ChangeLog" -- note the specific capitalization -- as
generally used, has a fairly specific meaning:  it only refers to
Emacs-style ChangeLog files, not to the concept of a change log in
general.  In my experience in the free-software world, even the
specific Emacs capitalization is not necessary:  any place the term
"changelog" occurs as one word, it tends to refer to an Emacs-style
ChangeLog file.

The manual text you quote refers to "log", not "ChangeLog", when it's
talking about CVS-style logs.

> My hunch is that the current documentation is different than you
> thought and that the changed documentation says what you mean.

No, I've read the info file now, and it seems pretty explicit and
clear about the distinction between the two types of logs.

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.