Re: Key binding M-g should really be goto-line

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Key binding M-g should really be goto-line
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 14:17:51 +0100

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

>> My proposal for an C-x ` alternative would be C-x ? which appears to
>> be free at the moment.  ? is a frequent character in all languages I
>> know, and so it should be more accessible than ` on most keyboards.
>> It also is connotated with "error" somewhat.
>
> That's really no better than C-x ` so what's the point (the "also
> connotated with error" thing is so tenuous as to be worthless)?

As a user of an American keyboard, you would not understand.  On
almost all keyboards of the world, getting ` is at best tedious, at
worst impossible or at least error-prone, usually yielding an accent
instead of a backquote.  For example, on a German keyboard you get `
by typing Shift-= SPC (where = means the American position for =), so
the whole sequence becomes C-x Shift-= SPC.

On a French keyboard, it is Right-Alt-7.  And so on.

> Either we should change it to something good, or just leave it as is
> until the next release.

For most languages of the world, ` is one heck of a nuisance.