Re: file-name-shadow-mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: file-name-shadow-mode
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 19:10:45 +0100

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> Miles Bader wrote:
>
>    A flaw whose only effect is to make the prompt slightly less clear
>    that it could be?
>
> A flaw that might give people the false impression that `$' after /
> has the same effect as / or ~ after /.
>
>    I expect that the
>    traditional "double slash" behavior of Emacs filename input -- which
>    is what rfn-eshadow fixes -- confuses far, _far_, more people.
>
> I do not understand.  It confuses people who want to use empty file
> or directory names?  I doudt that is going to work anyway.

Posix specifies that multiple slashes are the same as single slashes
in Shells and system calls.  So Emacs' behavior is surprising, though
useful.

Luc, you have recently acquired a tendency to veto everything on minor
technicalities without weighing the advantages against them.

While it certainly is always worthwhile to aim for the best possible
solution, foregoing any improvement because it is not yet absolutely
perfect is contraproductive.