Re: Coding systems and Terminal.app on Mac OS X

From: Sébastien Kirche
Subject: Re: Coding systems and Terminal.app on Mac OS X
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 17:00:46 +0100

Le 25 mar 2005, Peter Dyballa s'est exprimé ainsi :

> Carbon Emacs has different fontsets. You can drag&drop files on it --
> but when you copy with M-w a region you can't paste it into another
> Aqua/Quartz application -- at least I can't! The same is true in the
> other direction -- M-w only seems to add entries into the
> kill-ring-buffer which is accessible under the Edit menu.

I have no problem to exchange text by copy/paste (resp. M-w and C-y) between
Carbon Emacs and other applications.

For example  copying some mail address  in the address book  or Mail.app and
yanking it in Gnus  or copying urls in Emacs and pasting  it in Safari. I do
it often and without difficulty.

What do you mean exactly by «at least  I can't» ? I does nothing or you only
get some crap ? Sometimes i have little problem with accentuated french text
that is encoded in  Mac-Roman in my mac apps and need  some C-x RET c before
yanking in Emacs.

> You can't  mark (hi-light)  text by  dragging the mouse  -- well,  the new
> background colour comes, but a beep too!

Again, no problem here for selecting some text with the mouse.

I  would not  say some  stupid thing,  but maybe  you could  take a  look to
transient-mark-mode ?

--
Sébastien Kirche