Changing `string-to-int' to `string-to-number'

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Changing `string-to-int' to `string-to-number'
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 12:38:34 +0200

Hi everybody.

I have an outstanding patch to more-or-less-globally change
`string-to-int' to `string-to-number' and squash the little warning
buggers. As previous experience has shown, these kind of changes often
trip over unsuspecting toes, so this time I've chosen to be careful
and ask before (turning 40 a few months ago must be getting into me :)

There are a few groups of files that I don't plan to touch, because
they're, AFAIK, externally maintained efforts and often do take pains
to maintain compatibility with older releases or non-GNU Emacsen,
i.e.:

 - eshell\*.el
 - gnus\*.el
 - mh-e\*.el

What about obsolete\*.el? Does it make sense? Being in obsolete\ does
not mean they're gonna be used with older releases, does it? And
url\*.el? My understanding is that the Emacs repository is *the* URL
repository, so it should be in sync with Emacs (meaning, it should use
the newer, shinnier functions).

Any comment whether these can/should/must/CAN'T/MUSTN'T be changed?
(Some have external maintainers, some had, some I'm not sure at all):

- printing.el
- speedbar.el
- emulation\edt.el
- emulation\tpu-extras.el
- emulation\vip.el
- emulation\viper-ex.el
- mail\feedmail.el
- mail\smtpmail.el
- progmodes\ada-xref.el
- progmodes\idlw*.el
- progmodes\ps-mode.el
- progmodes\vhdl-mode.el
- term\mac-win.el
- textmodes\ispell.el
- textmodes\org.el
- textmodes\reftex*.el

FWIW, the current list of files I'm planning to change (unless someone
objects, that is):

 - align.el
 - ansi-color.el
 - array.el