Re: Adding missing copyright years

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Adding missing copyright years
Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 11:08:12 +1200

 > Has been suggested to use the output of annotate as a guide; that
 > would mean that only the *remaining* code is copyrightable. Is that
 > so?
 >
 > What I mean is, if someone made a significant change to foo.el in
 > 2003, and some other people did another significant change to foo.el
 > in 2005, so there's no remaining code in foo.el from the 2003 change,
 > should the copyright be "2003, 2005" or just "2005"? I think is the
 > later (otherwise it would be imposible to expurge files from unwanted,
 > non-GPLed material that entered by accident), but I want to be sure.

So I guess you would need to run cvs annotate for each year:

e.g

cvs annotate -D 2004-12-31 cmacexp.el > cmacexp04.ann
grep "..-...-04" cmacexp04.ann | wc

cvs annotate -D 2003-12-31 cmacexp.el > cmacexp03.ann
grep "..-...-03" cmacexp03.ann | wc

It would seem that it can't be done mechanically, so maybe the (lisp) code
could invoke vc-annotate in some way for manual inspection.

Nick