Re: Completion with M-Tab for custom type 'directory

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Completion with M-Tab for custom type 'directory
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 23:57:45 +0200

Luc Teirlinck wrote:

Lennart Borgman wrote:

3) Alt-Tab is useless as a default since it is not available in window type environments.

Did you really mean "in window type environments" (when using a window
system) or did you mean "in an MS Windows type environment".  (I am
not trying to nitpick on terminology, I am really not sure which of
the two you mean.)  If the former, then it is difficult to avoid
conflicts with window manager bindings, due to the large variety of
window managers out there.  A good window manager will allow you to
rebind its keys.  All of my window manager commands use the super key,
so I have no conflicts.
I mean on a system where a window manager is used. Several times it has been pointed out that many of the most common window managers uses Alt-Tab for window managers window switching.

And yes, I use MS Windows. Still a majority does that. We can not pretend that the key bindings there are unimportant. They are important whehter we like it or not. I think that we will get a much larger user base if we acknowledge that. I think that this is important in the long run. I have struggled to get a working environment on MS Windows to see if I can switch without much trouble. As long as I have trouble getting things working on w32 I can not switch.