Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 14:40:09 +0200

Jason Rumney wrote:

Lennart Borgman wrote:

I just want to tell that w32 still have no working emacsclient/server. Gnuserver/client is a workaround, but as far as I understand this can currently not be part of Emacs because of license problems.

This sums up (in my opinion) that we can not distribute a fully working Emacs on w32. What should we do about this?

Lennart,

I am not sure what you are suggesting here. Are you suggesting that we withdraw all support for Windows due to the support we do have not being "fully working"? Are you suggesting that someone(TM) should drop every thing else in their life and port emacsclient now? If so, are you willing to pay for that to happen?

Please don't shoot the messenger.

What is wrong with carrying on with what we have been doing for the last 10 years, ie doing the best we can with the limited resources we have?

I know we have done as much as we can but I do not think we have reached our goal in this case. I am looking for a way to handle this and I hope for good suggestions.

The first thing is to hope for someone who can and want to do this. If this fail I think we at least should tell the truth about the state of Emacs in this respect. Maybe that could be done by simply writing that special documentation for w32 that someone (Eli?) suggested.

I think this is very important. On my first tries with Emacs on w32 I just came to the conclusion that it was badly broken. Without the client/server capabilities it is not of much use for me. I did not found those so I just left.

The actual reason I was looking at Emacs was that I was trying to get rid of a proprietary implementation of vi that actually had the client/server capabilities. I tried Vim which was better in some respect, but it did not have sufficiently good integration with w32 and therefore lacked good client/server capabilities. It took me too much time to use Vim therefore. When trying Emacs I got into the same problem.

I saw these difficulties as failures of Emacs and Vim. Some people might see them as failures of w32, but I think that does not lead to anything useful.