Re: File modes facilities.

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: File modes facilities.
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 23:14:14 +0900

2005/10/21, Michael Cadilhac <address@hidden>:
> > I don't think that is needed.  It is already possible and much easier to
> > provide a lisp wrapper that implements any fancy interactive spec as
> > needed.
>
>   Yes, it is, but I don't see any interest of providing to the final
>   user a function ``set-file-modes'' and another
>   ``set-file-modes-that-really-works-as-you-expect'' when one could be
>   sufficient, nop ?

Well having two "almost equivalent" entry points instead of one is
bad, so it should be avoided when possible.  But you can work around
such ugliness to some degree by making the C function a non-advertised
internal function, e.g., call the C function
"set-file-modes-internal", and provide a lisp wrapper for the fancy
stuff that everybody would call.

Still, adding lisp interactive specs to C functions would be very
useful, and much cleaner than having 2*n functions, especially if it's
as simple as Kim suggested.

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.