Re: bootstrap problem with union Lisp_Object

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: bootstrap problem with union Lisp_Object
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 23:54:07 -0500

    If people think this is a good idea, I could start changing those
    macros that use eassert (XSET, XCONS, XVECTOR, ...) to have GCC and
    non-GCC versions, with the GCC versions using statement expressions
    (inline functions wouldn't preserve the file and line number) and
    temporary variables, and error out if ENABLE_CHECKING is defined but
    GCC isn't used.  Should be straightforward, about a dozen places or
    so to change I think.

Is this really necessary now?  I hope not.