Re: GTK file selector

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: GTK file selector
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 01:22:53 +0900

    Nick> Perhaps you're bitter that XEmacs does seemed to have slowed
    Nick> down, but please remember this list is for contributing to
    Nick> Emacs development, not to knock it down.

Don't kid yourself.  Of course XEmacs developers would like XEmacs to
move faster, but I don't see _active developers_ (like Aidan) terribly
concerned about it.  We do feel bad for the users, but then, the users
could turn around and become developers if they wanted something done.

It is definitely arguable that Emacs is losing its appeal for new
users.  You may have noticed the presence of a prominent former XEmacs
developer (Hrvoje Niksic) recently on this list.  Although he made it
clear that he didn't have time to work around the specific problems he
has with XEmacs, and so has turned to the mainline again, he also
expressed his dismay that even with his customized Emacs environment,
there are still many features missing that come with (say) Eclipse out
of the box.  He's not the only one to express such concerns, but he
was the most articulate I can recall.

Whether GNU and/or the Emacs project "should" worry about it is another
matter, but I don't think it's a good idea to put down Aidan because
he worries.