memory leak

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: memory leak
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 17:51:01 +0000 (UTC)

Can anyone else reproduce a memory leak in the current CVS GNU/Emacs?

Debian GNU/Linux, testing, updated this morning
one root console running, one user console running an X windows session

X windows
Enlightenment window manager

Four instances of
today's GNU Emacs CVS snapshot, Fri, 2006 Apr 28  09:59 UTC
GNU Emacs 22.0.50.64 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.6.8)
started with

     /usr/local/src/emacs/src/emacs -Q -D

No other instances of Emacs.  During the time of the measurement, I
did nothing with the computer.

These instances of GNU Emacs appear to consume RAM at a rate of 124 kb/min.

How I did it: after instantiating four plain vanilla instances of GNU
Emacs from today's CVS, I recorded the total active memory and then
did that again 10.5 minutes later.

The total active memory comes from `free, and is `used' minus the sum
of `shared, buffers, and cached.  (There was no change in swap size.)

(This is on the usual computer I work with, so it is really painful
getting rid of the instances I use, generally three as a plain user
and two as root; I tend to keep those running for days.)

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8