Re: Mode loaded twice with Local Variables

From: Stuart D. Herring
Subject: Re: Mode loaded twice with Local Variables
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 12:00:56 -0700 (PDT)

>     If it'd be better to set up the mode last,
> Then all the local variables would be lost!

Ooh.  Yeah.  I mentioned that very result in my email and then turned
around and ignored it.  Doing the major mode after local variables would
then involve not only
1. Detecting the mode-change ahead of time and killing variables then
2. Applying the local variables without setting the mode
but also
3. Applying the major mode without killing local variables.

3 would require modifying every major mode to do correctly, although it
could be faked by temporarily redefining `kill-all-local-variables'.
Moreover, it would change very fundamental rules about modes.  Definitely
don't want to do this now, if ever.  So my previous patch is probably the
best we're going to do.