Re: Fcall_process: wrong conversion

From: Herbert Euler
Subject: Re: Fcall_process: wrong conversion
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 12:34:30 +0800

From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
To: "Herbert Euler" <address@hidden>
CC: address@hidden
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 13:10:30 +0900

I think there's no locale that uses utf-16, and it's
impossible to support such a locale because most of basic
libc functions that accept a filename require that it is
terminated by NULL.

Oh, I see my fault.  At the same time, I see whether a string is
unibyte-string is tested with STRING_MULTIBYTE (line 674 to 676,
lisp.h):

   /* Nonzero if STR is a multibyte string.  */
   #define STRING_MULTIBYTE(STR)  \
     (XSTRING (STR)->size_byte >= 0)

I don't know how `size_byte' is set.  Is it done by scanning a string
and watching the range of each byte (or some bytes) of the string?  If
it is in this case and we assume that no command argument will be in
UTF-16 encode, disabling argument encoding for unibyte-string seems
the best solution.

Regards,
Guanpeng Xu

Don't just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/