Re: Fcall_process: wrong conversion

From: Herbert Euler
Subject: Re: Fcall_process: wrong conversion
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 14:14:18 +0800

From: "Herbert Euler" <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
CC: address@hidden
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 14:07:04 +0800

In my opinion, most programs seem not to require different
encoding for arguments and file.  Think about a program
requires Japanese relative encoding as file encoding and
Chinese relative encoding as argument encoding.  If I provide
simplified Chinese characters, which are not in the specific
Japanese encoding, in command arguments, this program
seems hardly taking a acceptable behavior, even if I execute
the program by typing it in Shell.

Namely, cross-encoding would make sense only if all the
different encodings contain all characters involved and
represent them the same way in an execution.  In other
conditions, users can't expect acceptable result.  This
unique condition is likely what already exists in the current
code, except converting to utf-16.

There do be exceptions, such as programs converting
arguments internally.  But even these programs are
not likely to use more than two encodings as argument
encoding.  To me, it seems that these programs are
not generally used for general purposes, so when
`call-process' is applied to these programs
it's the caller's responsibility to adjust encoding.

Regards,
Guanpeng Xu

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar - get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/