[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Sat, 1 Jul 2006 20:17:23 -0700
I don't know what faces ought not to be there. Probably `tooltip',
`help-argument-name', etc. ought not to be there, but what's the
If I read the facemenu.el commentary correctly, the faces that should be
there are faces that users will not be likely to apply to text in a buffer.
Assuming the facemenu is meant for users to select a face to put into
whatever buffer they are editing (via Edit->Text Properties->Face), I
would argue that the facemenu should be populated by an include list
rather than an exclude list. I suggest just the following:
bold bold-italic default fixed-pitch underline
I agree: if users can only choose a face to apply by clicking its name in
the Face submenu, then that submenu should be short. I think, however, that
the Face submenu is pretty useless, whether short or long. I'd suggest
removing it altogether, after the release.
On the other hand, a long list, a la `list-faces-display', can be useful -
it just should not be placed in-line in a menu. We could enable use of
`list-faces-display' to apply a chosen face to the region (what Faces > ...
Today, the `list-faces-display' list just gives you access to 1) Customizing
the face and 2) the *Faces* description of the face. those two could be
combined in the same mouse click - they both give you info on the face. In
fact, they already are combined, in the sense that *Faces* has a link to
Customize the face.
So, clicking the face name in `list-faces-display' could simply apply that
face to the region (what Faces > ... does today). And clicking the face's
alphabet would show the *Faces* description of the face, with a link to
IOW, my suggestion is to get rid of menu Faces, and let users obtain its
functionality for any face, via a more active `list-faces-display'.
The best interaction, BTW, is that provided by `M-o o': it lets you choose a
face to apply using face-name completion. Like `list-faces-display', no
faces are excluded from that list - if a user wants to apply face
`mode-list' to text in a buffer, s?he can.
- facemenu-unlisted-faces, Richard Stallman, 2006/07/01
- Re: facemenu-unlisted-faces, Chong Yidong, 2006/07/01
- RE: facemenu-unlisted-faces,
Drew Adams <=
- Re: facemenu-unlisted-faces, Richard Stallman, 2006/07/02
- RE: facemenu-unlisted-faces, Drew Adams, 2006/07/02
- Re: facemenu-unlisted-faces, David Kastrup, 2006/07/03
- RE: facemenu-unlisted-faces, Drew Adams, 2006/07/03
- Re: facemenu-unlisted-faces, Richard Stallman, 2006/07/04
- RE: facemenu-unlisted-faces, Drew Adams, 2006/07/04
- Re: facemenu-unlisted-faces, Richard Stallman, 2006/07/05
- RE: facemenu-unlisted-faces, Drew Adams, 2006/07/05
- Re: facemenu-unlisted-faces, Richard Stallman, 2006/07/06
- RE: facemenu-unlisted-faces, Drew Adams, 2006/07/06