Re: Building Emacs overflowed pure space

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Building Emacs overflowed pure space
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 23:16:25 +0300

> Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 13:55:42 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> Different people get somewhat different values of pure-bytes-used.
> Eli was wondering that this could be caused by some bug.  I must
> confess that I do not fully understand the problems (if any) involved,
> but somebody suggested that the differences could be due to the way
> you compile Emacs.  This may make a difference as to whether and when
> cl.el gets loaded during compiling.  cl.el redefines some often used
> functions, making their code longer.  This would seem consistent with
> the fact that people doing `make bootstrap' seem to get a slightly
> higher value than Eli, who I believe does not usually do `make bootstrap'.

No, this cannot explain the differences I was trying to investigate,
because I made a point, as part of my testing, of building Emacs both
with and without bootstrap.  I got the same numbers in both cases.

> I suggest to go back to increasing BASE_PURESIZE by increments of 10000.
> Any lesser value just will result in too frequent problems.

I don't think it's reasonable at this stage.  We are not supposed to
install changes that increase the pure size significantly; adding 10K
will just risk wasting memory in the released Emacs.