Re: cursor doesn't show through transparent images in emacs 22, unlike e

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: cursor doesn't show through transparent images in emacs 22, unlike emacs 21
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 23:37:25 +0200

>     A block cursor on an image is shown by using the cursor color
>     as the background color in the image.
>
> I think this means that if the image blocks out the background color,
> then the cursor won't appear.  Is that correct?  I think that is a problem.

Maybe -- but it's not a new problem.  It's the same as it was in 21.x, and
I don't recall any reports of that behaviour being a problem.

> But it looks like the problem that was reported is different.  How
> do they differ?

The current complaint is that we unconditionally replace the box
cursor by a hollow cursor on images -- even small images (comparable
in size to a character glyph) where the box cursor would do fine (and
did fine in emacs 21.x).

My change addresses this problem by making a distinction between
small and "larger" images.  IMO, this is the right fix for emacs 22.

OTOH, my change does not try to address (the never-repoprted, non-existent?)
problem with using a box cursor on images.