Re: cursor doesn't show through transparent images in emacs 22, unlike e

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: cursor doesn't show through transparent images in emacs 22, unlike emacs 21
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 23:42:33 +0300

>     > I think this means that if the image blocks out the background color,
>     > then the cursor won't appear.  Is that correct?  I think that is a
> problem.
>
>     Maybe -- but it's not a new problem.  It's the same as it was in 21.x, and
>     I don't recall any reports of that behaviour being a problem.
>
> How could it possibly not be a problem?  Is it that nobody uses
> non-transparent images?  Nobody cares about seeing the cursor in buffers
> that use non-transparent images?

I guess this is not a problem because usually a border is visible around
non-transparent images with the cursor.

What a real problem is that displaying different types of cursors on small
transparent images is illogical now.  This is a serious UI problem.
Currently, the box cursor is displayed as a hollow cursor on images, but
the bar cursor is displayed as a filled box cursor.  But this should be
vice versa: the box cursor should be displayed as a box cursor that fills
transparent areas and has the 1-pixel border, but the bar cursor should be
displayed as a hollow cursor.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/