Re: [bug]org-mode with flyspell-mode freezes emacs

From: Michael Olson
Subject: Re: [bug]org-mode with flyspell-mode freezes emacs
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 14:30:05 -0400

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Michael Olson <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> For links, which are colorized for the sake of visual appeal, the
>> user provides both the link and (optionally) the link description
>> using the markup syntax that Carsten described.  So of course it
>> has to be in the buffer text -- how else could changes be
>> meaningfully saved?
>
> By putting them into text properties and converting those using
> format.el.  I think that is what enriched text mode does.

Thank you for pointing this out.

[Now speaking from the perspective of Emacs Muse, which I maintain,
and which uses the same syntax for links.]

format.el does not seem to be able to handle what needs to be done,
however.  For one thing, it can only do translations that involve one
property at a time.  Muse needs to be able to add the muse-link to the
entire link, a face to the description, and invisible to the link
destination.  Just using the display property isn't enough, because
(1) there is a helpful feature of jumping to the next link by hitting
TAB, which is fastest when using the muse-link property and (2) it
apparently inhibits the user from editing the link description in
place, which is a useful feature.

> It's not exactly like this has not been already discussed in this
> thread.

I don't see any mention of format.el on this thread, apart from the
message this one responds to.

If you are going to question the way something is done, please mention
an alternative at the same time, otherwise it is hard to take you
seriously.

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: Emacs Lisp, text markup, protocols -- Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net