Re: Default of jit-lock-stealth-time

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Default of jit-lock-stealth-time
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 08:16:02 +0100

>     Regardless of the system load: the load may be low at the moment
>     _exactly_ because the user terminated all processes that would disturb
>     the interactivity of his current work, and I think it a mistake that
>     Emacs considers the CPU fit for grabbing for its own purposes unless
>     the user _explicitly_ asked for it.
> Stealth fontification is intended to stop whenever the user types a
> character.  So why would it interfere with the "interactivity" of
> Emacs commands?

Who is talking about the interactivity of Emacs?  Emacs might not be
the only application on the system.

> Is there a bug which prevents stealth fontification from stopping
> quickly?

Actually, yes.  There are font-locking situations in stealth
fontification that don't finish immediately and even cause quite a bit
of sluggishness for Emacs itself.

But even apart from that, even if all font lock patterns for all modes
worked perfectly, this causes _considerable_ power drain whenever I
restart Emacs, reloading all files using desktop.el.  The fan goes on,
blinking gets sluggish, and I notice that Emacs is eating my batteries

Even if this worked perfectly (which it doesn't), we have no business
eating "stealth CPU" power in the default configuration since it is
near impossible for the user (heck, I am not exactly naive, and it was
impossible for me to find this on my own without an explicit pointer
after an error report) to guess just _what_ is eating her CPU.