Re: Disabling ATSUI on OS X

From: Julian Scheid
Subject: Re: Disabling ATSUI on OS X
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 23:21:45 +1000

Miles Bader wrote:
> Does atsui not have a setting equivalent to freetype's "favor
> contrast" setting (I don't know the official name of this, it's
> something you get in the gnome font-settings dialog)?

Thanks for the heads-up, but as far as I'm aware the only control I
have over text rendering in OS X is the "turn off font smoothing for
font sizes N and smaller" setting in the Appearance panel in System
Preferences, and that works on a system-wide level regardless of which
font is affected and whether we're talking proportional or fixed
fonts.

Now, cranking that setting up makes lots of formerly nice-looking text
go all crumbly.

I'm really happy with how OS X renders text, it's just in Emacs that I
would prefer the crisper display. (My terminal of choice, GLterm,
seems to override that setting as well.)

Julian