Re: CVS is the `released version' (ELL and the ohio lisp archive)

From: Stephen Eglen
Subject: Re: CVS is the `released version' (ELL and the ohio lisp archive)
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 19:32:50 +0100

Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

> There's another way to address this 3rd party elisp problem: you could
> do outreach to the authors and ask them to contribute to Emacs.  ELL
> and the Emacs Wiki have a long list of potential contributors.

As an aside to this discussion -- I created the ELL (Emacs lisp list)
ELL in September 1998, mostly because I was saddened to see that the
ohio elisp archive had fell into disuse, and thought the ELL would be
a quick fix to list files until another repository came along.  Little
did I think it would exist for more than a year or so, let alone close
to nine years.  I don't track how much it is used, but I hope it is
still useful.

However, I'd much rather see the return of something like the old lisp
archive, and I think something that Tom is doing should be supported,
since it would seem to essentially resurrect the archive concept in
addition to being a package manager.  (I personally probably wouldn't
use it immediately as a package manager, but would appreciate just
being able to browse the archive for code, ideas, etc.)

If this system gets elisp code more visibility, then great, and I'd
hope that eventually, if there is enough demand for certain pacakages,
they could get into Emacs core.

Stephen