Re: propose adding Icicles to Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: propose adding Icicles to Emacs
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 15:17:12 -0400

> The `completing-read' code is here:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/icicles-fn.el. Perhaps others more
> familiar with Emacs implementation can advise whether some of this
> redefinition could or should be moved to the vanilla definition of
> `completing-read' or what might be a "cleaner way" to do what is done now
> this way. I would advise just leaving this code as is, at least for now.

Redefining completing-read is a no-no in my book.  Please try to rewrite
your code so as not to do that (e.g. using minibuffer-setup-hook).  Also, if
it turns out to be impossible, or very inconvenient, then post a request for
enhancement to make it possible/easier.

>> it can replace some top-level commands with Icicles
>> versions (e.g. `find-file' with `icicle-find-file').
> I should be clear that this is not about redefining commands; it is about
> remapping their bindings: the bindings for `find-file' are mapped to
> `icicle-find-file'.

I.e. find-file is not changed.  You just remap C-x C-f to your
command, right?  That's perfectly fine.

        Stefan