Re: propose adding Icicles to Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: propose adding Icicles to Emacs
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 12:07:21 -0400

> I gave concrete examples for `completing-read' and pointed to the code for
> the others as well. Each of the functions has different additional things
> added, which cannot be done on `minibuffer-setup-hook'. Initializations etc.
> that are appropriate for only one function (e.g. `completing-read') cannot
> be put on a hook that is run when every function activates the minibuffer.

Saying "can't do that" is not helpful.
Please explain why you think you can't do that.  What would you need to do
be able to do?

E.g. you can probably distinguish from minibuffer-setup-hook between most of
the possible situations by looking at which keymap is used locally, what are
the settings for the various minibuffer-<foobar> variables, etc...

Maybe these solutions are just as ugly (e.g. comparing (current-local-map)
with minibuffer-local-completion-map would definitely count as an ugly
hack), but at least they may give us some idea of what might be needed.

Maybe other things just can't be done in minibuffer-setup-hook or
minibuffer-exit-hook because they need to be run at some completely
different moment.

Let's try to be constructive.

        Stefan