Re: Post-22.1 development?

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Post-22.1 development?
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 15:22:05 -0400

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

>> I think it's a bad idea to use a shared tail in this way.
>
> I concur it is ugly.  However, it is also expedient in that it lets
> us experiment with several concepts of sharing and not sharing
> environment variables, _without_ requiring to meddle with unrelated
> code until we have settled on one or the other paradigm.

I don't understand what the purpose of this experimentation is.  What
exactly do you want to find out with these "experiments"?

Instead of making a change that we might want to completely revamp
(or, worse, get stuck with an ugly API because it's too much trouble
to revamp), why not just adopt Stefan's very reasonable plan: