mode-line with Tramp [was: Re: Tramp with GUD broken on trunk?]

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: mode-line with Tramp [was: Re: Tramp with GUD broken on trunk?]
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 10:39:38 +1200

 > > This isn't exactly what I meant.  I don't really want the hostname
 > > displaying in all buffers including those for the local machine.  I was
 > > just thinking of something like the character 'R', possibly with a
 > > different face/background colour, for remote buffers similar to the single
 > > character flags at the start of the mode-line.
 >
 > There might be different requirements. I, for example, work on dozens
 > of remote machines in parallel (all machines from our test floor). A
 > simple "R" indication in the mode line wouldn't help in my use
 > case. Likely it is sufficient just to document possible approaches.

I don't know what typical use is but I was thinking about the occasional user
who connects to just one other machine.  Perhap there could be a variable like
"tramp-mode-line" with values 'none, 'minimal, and 'full to give differing
levels of detail, where the default would be minimal.  This would alert new
users to remote buffers.  Those using dozens of remote machines in parallel
would surely know about such a veriable to change it's value.