Re: mode-line with Tramp

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: mode-line with Tramp
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 21:07:12 +1200

 >     quite inconsistent, however, with each contributor providing different
 >     levels of documentation, e.g., there have been many changes to VC
 >     recently but I
 >
 > I think ESR went ahead and installed his rewrite of VC without the
 > discussion that should have happened first.  This is not the way
 > things are supposed to be done.  We should discuss such change
 > before installation.

I don't think he was responsible for the example that I gave.

 > Could you please look at this point?
 >
 >      > I wonder whether "R" could sometimes get confused with the frame
 >      > identification.  Usually the frame name won't start with R, but it
 >      > can.  Maybe this indicator should appear in a different place in the
 >      > mode line.

All I know is that the mode-line shows -F1 on a tty, and -F2 on the rare
occasions that I use C-x 5 2 there.  I've never seen the frame-name changed
explicitly on a tty and since it is preceded by a hyphen, it would have to
start with R- for to be an ambiguity.  All the single character flags are on
the left and I can't think of a better place for it (that doesn't mean there
isn't a better one, of course).