Re: A system for localizing documentation strings

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: A system for localizing documentation strings
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 17:15:37 +0100

Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
> Obviously English will be the default for English speaking
> communities, Portuguese for Portuguese speaking communities.

I don't think you understand what I mean here by "fallback". We won't
have translations covering all parts of Emacs in all languages
instantly. In the case that a translation in the user's preferred
language(s) is not available, we need to fall back on a default.
Consistently using English as that default makes more sense than getting
whatever language the developer originally wrote the documentation in.

> Besides, English is not the most widely understood language in the
> world today.

Would you care to elaborate? I'm not only talking about first languages
here.

> Also, a Lebanese developer who reads French would rather have French
> as the default than any dialect of English.
So we allow them to specify multiple languages in order of preference:
(setq preferred-doc-language '(ar-LB, ar, fr))
Only if translations for none of those languages exist do we give them
the English doc string.