Re: next-error-find-buffer

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: next-error-find-buffer
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 16:45:44 -0400

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 12:17:44 -0400 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

SM> To remind people of the context, C-x ` has two problems:

SM> 1 - if you have two projects, do C-x ` in the first, then do C-x ` in the
SM>     second, and then come back to the first and do C-x ` again, you'd want
SM>     this C-x ` to use the compilation buffer of the first project, not of
SM>     the second one.  So you'd want to sometimes ignore
SM>     next-error-last-buffer.  This is the reason why "next-error capable
SM>     buffer in the current frame" currently takes precedence over
SM>     next-error-last-buffer.

SM> 2 - if you do C-x ` on a compilation buffer and that jumps to a patch file,
SM>     and then do C-x ` from that patch file's buffer, it should look for the
SM>     next error in the compilation buffer rather than the next hunk in the
SM>     patch file.
SM>     Currently this is done by giving precedence to next-error-last-buffer
SM>     over current-buffer (i.e. basically this always ignores
SM>     current-buffer.  In practice current-buffer is still often used because
SM>     of the first rule "next-error capable buffer in current frame").

SM> The way I use Emacs, I have one frame per buffer.  So the first rule
SM> basically means that current-buffer is always selected, so for me problem
SM> number 2 is not corrected.

SM> My original suggestion to fix number 2 was to introduce a new variable
SM> next-error-last-source-buffer which is set to the last source buffer visited
SM> by next-error.  Then C-x ` would ignore current-buffer (and obey
SM> next-error-last-buffer instead) if the current buffer is equal to
SM> next-error-last-source-buffer: in the example problem, the C-x ` that puts
SM> me in the patch file would set next-error-last-source-buffer to that patch
SM> file buffer so hitting C-x ` in that patch file buffer would correctly
SM> ignore the patch file buffer and use the compilation buffer instead.

I think your fix makes sense.  I've avoided work on next-error in the
past because of the recent release, but this was annoying behavior in
some cases.

I have some other proposals for the next/previous functionality, if
anyone is interested.  Basically I think it should be expanded to other
parts of Emacs, because it's so handy.

Ted