Re: next-error-find-buffer (was: kill-compilation failing when there are

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: next-error-find-buffer (was: kill-compilation failing when there are several compilation buffers)
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 23:38:18 -0400

    Actually, that thread did not conclude that the current set of rules is The
    Right Way.  It ignored my suggestion (which was to keep the
    `current-buffer' as the first rule, but to disable it if current-buffer was
    the last source buffer visited by next-error).

I can see how, in some situations, that would be better behavior
in next-error.  (My change is still needed for kill-compilation.)

However, it seems to me that there may be other situations were it
might be worse behavior.  This is the sort of issue where no solution
is clearly right, every choice is a heuristic, and there may not be
any best solution.

Since your change makes the code more complex, I think we should not
install it now.  Instead, people should try it, and we can see whether
they generally like it better.  If they do, then please install it.