Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 17:00:00 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

>>     Unfortunately, it isn't an exaggeration.
>>
>> You're taking a hostile tack which I consider unjust, so I will not
>> give weight to whatever is based on it.  You may as well not repeat
>> it.
>
> Richard, you have accused about half a dozen different Emacs
> contributors of hostility by now and have threatened a number of
> things, from ignoring people to ominous warnings about actions you'll
> take.  People are participating on Emacs development and discussing on
> this list not for the purpose of annoying you and making Emacs and GNU
> worse.
>
> There is, as far as I can see, not a _single_ person apart from you on
> this list who considers it a good idea to start Emacs with a splash
> screen when one asks it to edit a file.  So we are trying to come up
> with a way of achieving your goals that has the least negative impact
> with regard to Emacs and GNU acceptance.  And it does not help when
> you are threatening everybody who tries to help with the complicate
> task of implementing your goals in a manner compatible to the needs of
> Emacs users.

Well said!  And no hostility intended!

I still don't see why we cannot simply output a (possibly rather
verbose) message in the echo area when emacs is started with a file
name arg.

Such a message disappears automatically on the first key-press, so
even though some users may still find it annoying, it doesn't get in
the way of editing the file.