Re: jka-compr.el doesn't recognise gzipped files from their magic bytes

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: jka-compr.el doesn't recognise gzipped files from their magic bytes
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 15:06:20 -0400

> OK, you win; I'm not going to waste time trying to *make* you
> understand.  Feel free to ask what I'm trying to say some time when
> you're in a better mood.

Let me try to answer: I don't know how it really works, but IIUC as long as
we only get ASCII bytes without end of line, the coding system is left as
`undecided' and on the first packet we receive with an LF or CR or a byte
larger than 128, the coding system is decided based on this packet and this
packet only.  Tho, I guess the decision on EOL is orthogonal, so we may go
from `undecided' to `undecided-unix' on one packet (or to `latin-undecided')
and only get to `latin1-unix' on a later packet.

Anyway, this is only based on the mental model I created to explain to
myself what I see (also based on a vague impression of how I'd have tried to
code it if I had had to), but I haven't actually looked at the relevant
code.  So maybe it works completely differently.

        Stefan