Re: Simplification of faces

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Simplification of faces
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 13:40:51 -0400

    > I am thinking of essentially eliminating the face attributes as a way
    > to control what a face looks like.  Programs would use only `defface'
    > and `face-spec-set'.

    What about `modify-face'?

`modify-face' is another interface to `set-face-attribute'.  Under
this proposal, we would get rid of both.

    I'm not too clear on `face-spec-set'. Is what it does now is replace only
    those attributes that are included in its SPEC arg, leaving the others
    alone?

That is what I thought yesterday from reading its code, but I see that
in fact it calls `face-spec-reset-face'.  So it already does totally
replace any other settings for that face.

So this proposal therefore reduces to eliminating the
`set-face-attribute' level of interface for controlling faces.

    I hope that I will at least be able to still use
    `modify-face'.

Why do you want to use `modify-face'?