Re: CVS trunk emacsclient: X11 connection rejected

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: CVS trunk emacsclient: X11 connection rejected
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 07:41:09 +0200

Glenn Morris skrev:
> With Emacs 22, and two GNU/Linux hosts with a common (NFS)
> file-system, I can do this:
>
>>From an X-session running on host1:
>
> host1> emacs -Q -f server-start &
> host1> ssh host2
> host2> ssh host1 emacsclient --no-wait $PWD/README
>
> which visits the README file in the Emacs running on host1. I often
> find this convenient, because I often ssh between various machines and
> want to have a single Emacs instance. (The "emacsclient" part is
> hidden inside an "emacs" wrapper script that Does The Right Thing
> according to the situation.)
>
> If I try the same thing with the CVS trunk, then I get the following
> error when trying to run emacsclient:
>
>   X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.

This is a ssh error message.  It usually means that forwarding is not working
and sometimes the X11UseLocalhost option to sshd fixes it.

I think in your case the first emacs you start has a different DISPLAY than
emacsclient and then the ~/.Xauthority does not match.  Maybe an ssh(d)
upgrade caused this problem?  Or as you indicate, the multitty stuff has
changed how Emacs uses DISPLAY:s.  IT can also be so simple as some of your
home directories can't be written to or ~/.Xauthority is not writable.

I guess you have to run sshd with -v (or .d <number>) to exactly see what is
going on.

        Jan D.