Re: desktop.el: autosave?

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: desktop.el: autosave?
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 00:28:32 +0200

>>     > I'm not sure an idle timer is good for this feature.  I want to
>>     > auto-save the desktop at quite long time intervals (an hour or
>>     > so), but usually Emacs is not idle for this time.  So it seems
>>     > we need a non-idle timer.
>>     Two timers?  The non-idle one triggers (after an hour or so) an idle one.
>> That's a strange idea.
> It occurred to me because Juri wanted to auto-save the desktop only
> every hour.  Hence, I'd first wait for an hour and then until Emacs
> has become idle for at least five minutes.

Yes, having two parallel timers with an idle timer run with a short delay
will save the desktop too often which is undesirable.  So your idea is
reasonable unless there is a more suitable solution with using just one timer.

>> My idea is that they both trigger saving.
> Wouldn't it be sufficient to have one idle timer which triggers
> auto-saving only if some timeout has elapsed since the last auto-save
> of the desktop?

It seems this is not possible with idle timers because they use timeout
elapsed since the last user input, not the last time they run.

Juri Linkov