Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 03:18:31 +0200

On 2008-01-02 16:19, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> writes:
>> Richard Stallman <address@hidden>:
>>> More than that, I think you have a copy of the whole repository
>>> locally, so you can look at logs, earlier revisions etc while
>>> off-line.
>>>
>>> That sounds useful.
>>
>> It is.  All the 3Gs have this property.
>
> But I doubt all of them manage to squeeze all of Emacs' CVS history
> (actually, more than that, since the Emacs' git repository also contains
> the non-CVS multi-tty history AFAIK) into 200MB.

I have a locally converted `HEAD' from CVS -> Mercurial which contains
all the history of the Emacs trunk, and is now at 138 MB:

  address@hidden:/home/keramida/hg/emacs/head$ du -skh .hg
  138M    .hg
  address@hidden:/home/keramida/hg/emacs/head$

This repository doesn't contain *all* the branches which have ever
existed for Emacs, but a pair of branches won't really bloat the history
above 200 MB easily.

Both Git and Mercurial are trying hard to store large histories in an
efficient manner.  They make different trade-offs, so some things will
invariably end up different, but there is a lot of cross-pollination
between the two systems, and that's usually a good thing :)

HTH,
Giorgos