Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 12:48:47 +0200

> From: Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 20:17:36 -0800
>
>   >   (defun ez-clcheckout ()
>   >     "Checkout from ClearCase the file visited by current buffer."
>   >     (interactive)
>   >     (shell-command (format "cleartool co %s" buffer-file-name))
>   >     (revert-buffer nil t))
>   >   (global-set-key (kbd "<f9>") 'ez-clcheckout)
>   >   (defun ez-clcheckin ()
>   >     "Checkin to ClearCase the file visited by current buffer."
>   >     (interactive)
>   >     (shell-command
>   >   (format "cleartool ci %s" buffer-file-name))
>   >     (revert-buffer nil t))
>   >   (global-set-key (kbd "<C-f9>") 'ez-clcheckin)
>
> Maybe this should use vc-clearcase (if such a thing exists).

It exists, but the users for whom I made these customizations weren't
used to having any interface to ClearCase in the IDE besides
checkout/checkin commands.  So I didn't bother installing
vc-clearcase, because doing so would need to make global changes on
our several dozen lab computers.

> Are the f9 and C-f9 the usual keys for this type of functionality in
> one some platforms?

AFAIU, they are in Visual Studio.

> Would be useful for us to add some default extra bindings to the
> functions keys for the VC functions?

Probably.

>   >   (global-set-key (kbd "<f4>") 'next-error)
>
> We already use f4, so this can't be bound by default :-(

Yeah, and I'd be damned if I understand why it's important.